Sunday, July 18, 2010

Beating the Heat

Although I've now considered myself a runner (as opposed to a swimmer) for the past two and a half years, somehow, this is only the first summer I've beeen running 25+ miles per week.  I was battling a hammy injury last summer so I had to take it easy, and the summer before that, I think the elliptical became my best friend when summer heat presented itself.  

Boy have I learned quickly how tough it is to run in the summer - not so much because of the heat, but the humidity!  I know I live in New York, so I can't complain as much as those in the South.  I understand it could be much worse :)  But hey - we have both extremes up here - I was doing 9-10 mile runs this past winter in single digit temperatures, and in white-out conditions.  I still don't know which extreme I prefer...









Winter (from Syracuse.com) brrrr!!











Summer (also from Syracuse.com)

I try to make smart decisions when going on my summer runs.  During the week, I wake up at 5:15 to get out there before the sun is up.  Note: it is still terribly humid at 5:30am -- I'm talking 90% humidity -- yuck!  I have a few dri-fit shirts and shorts, and I think those help too.  I'll be ordering some more apparel this week!   Does anyone have any suggestions?  I'm also thinking one of those water belt thingy's could be good for when I start my long runs in August... I found these hot weather running tips, too.  Looks like I am doing some of the right things!

Question time!  Would you rather run in extreme heat/humidity, or freezing cold/snow? 

3 comments:

  1. I hate the freezing cold/ snow so I will have to go with the heat! But my favorite temp to run is the 50's!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I'm so excited to find your blog!!! I think I found it on comments from Picky Palate. I'm Lizzy too and I'm also running NY! What kind of pace are you looking to do- I'm looking for a running partner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehe I am another Lizzy!!!
    AND I'm a swimmer turned runner too! I hope you are enjoying cooler fall temps!
    xoxo!

    ReplyDelete